Intellectual property is copyrighted when it is fixed in a tangible medium like a recording or a song book. However, in order to legally sue someone for copyright infringement, you must register you copyrights with the US copyright office. You will also need to register your copyrights if you want to license your music to film and tv.


Performance Rights Organizations

PROs are the organizations that collect performance royalties for songwriters. Anytime your music is publicly performed, either as the recording or live, PROs are the entities that collect that money and pay it to the rights holder. Anyone can register with ASCAP or BMI, however, one must be invited to SESAC and Global Music Rights.



Distro Comparison Header Image.jpg

You need a distributor to get your music into Apple Music / iTunes, Spotify, Amazon, Google Play, Deezer, Napster, etc in order to start making money from digital streams and downloads. There are many distribution companies that will do this for you. All you have to do is pick one. But how do you decide which one to use? We've provided links to three popular distribution platforms below, but you can study the differences between them and many more with the help of Ari's Digital Distribution Review Comparison to decide which option is best for you.

Sound Royalties


Sound Royalties is a company that offers music professionals non-credit based financing and funding without having to deal with banks or traditional lenders. They specialize in providing advances on future royalties for songwriters and musicians who often resort to selling parts of their publishing or songwriting rights to earn short-term cash.